Deadline: December 15, 2017, 5pm
Washington Project for the Arts (WPA) is inviting artwork submissions for its 37th annual Auction Gala exhibition. The event will be held on April 21th, 2018 in Washington, DC. All submissions will be reviewed by the Art Committee and selected artists will be invited to participate with between one and five artworks. WPA splits sales proceeds 50-50 with the artists.
Edgar Arceneaux (Artist, Los Angeles); Mark Beasley (Curator, Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden, DC); Jocelyn Miller (Curator, MoMA/PS1 Contemporary Art Center, NY); Frederick P. Ognibene, MD (Collector, DC); Jessica Stafford Davis (Founder, The Agora Culture, DC); Renée Stout (Artist, DC); and WPA staff.
About the Auction Gala
The WPA Auction Gala raises money for WPA’s artist-driven exhibitions, programs, and projects. More than two hundred artworks are sold by silent auction to more than 500 DC-area art collectors, patrons, enthusiasts and artists. Exhibiting artists are also provided two complimentary tickets to attend the event, which includes cocktails, a delicious dinner, dessert, and dancing.
Eligibility & Selection Requirements
We welcome submissions from artists and with artworks that meet the following conditions.
- All professional artists living between New York City and Richmond, VA making work that is experimental and/or pushes at the boundaries of traditional practice are eligible to submit.
- All forms of painting, drawing, photography, graphics, digital, and sculpture are eligible. *No jewelry, crafts, video or sound art will be accepted at this time.
- Artists must have exhibited in an artist-run or alternative space, commercial or university gallery, or museum in the past three years.
- Artwork submitted must have been completed in the last three years. Graduate work is acceptable; undergraduate work is not.
- Submitted artworks must have been completed since 2014 and cannot have been shown in previous WPA events/auctions.
- Artists must submit between three (3) and five (5) works.
- All images must be in jpeg format, sized to 5 X 7 (or approx.) inches at 300 dpi
- All 2-D artwork submissions must be framed and ready to hang with wiring in good condition (No saw- tooth hangers).
Submissions Deadline: December 15, 2017, 5pm
Notification of Acceptance: February 1, 2018
Local Artwork Drop Off*: April 13-14, 2018
Auction Night: April 21, 2018, 7pm – 11pm
Notification of Sale Begins: April 24, 2018
Local Artwork Pick Up: April 28-29, 2018
Mailing of Checks for Sold Works: By May 21, 2018
Contact Jordan Martin, Program Assistant, at firstname.lastname@example.org