WPA does not currently have any job openings.
WPA would not succeed without the assistance of our dedicated volunteers who devote their, time, energy, and ideas to our mission of serving the greater DC arts community and our WPA artist members. Whether they assist for a single event or in an ongoing project in the WPA Office, our volunteers are essential and deeply appreciated.
If you would like to volunteer at WPA, please contact email@example.com.
Washington Project for the Arts (WPA) relies heavily on interns to assist in the management, promotion, and planning of our 60+ events and exhibitions a year. We are a highly motivated staff and we look for the same qualities in our interns
An internship with WPA is a great opportunity for students to gain experience working within a professional environment and to become involved with the contemporary arts community of the DC region. The right candidate is responsible, enthusiastic, and organized. We welcome applications from graduate students and undergraduate students in their junior or senior year.
Internships are offered three times per year—Summer, Fall, and Spring. The position requires a minimum of 15 hours/week. Having some availability on weekends and evenings is preferable.
Responsibilities will vary depending upon whether you are working primarily with programs, development, membership, or communications, but may include any of the following…
- Assist with opening receptions and public programming
- Perform basic office and gallery tasks, including occasional gallery sitting
- Assist staff with social networking, event planning, and publicizing events
- Assist with installation and de-installation of exhibitions, packing, and shipping
- Assist in compiling data and doing research for the WPA Newsletter and other possible WPA publications
- Assist with copyediting and proofreading
- Assist in website and database information management, mailing list generation, some data analysis
- Knowledge and interest in contemporary art and arts administration
- Strong research and data entry skills
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office (Excel and Word)
- Knowledge of Adobe Design Programs (Not required, but is a plus)
- Knowledge of using social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)
- Ability to work collaboratively and individually
- Detail oriented, well organized and able to meet deadlines
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Self-motivated, problem solver
- Punctual, courteous, and responsible
Academic credit may be given depending on the approval of the students’ college or university. Students should consult their academic advisor for information as to how to complete an internship for course credit.
This internship is unpaid.
- The application deadline for a Summer Internship (May – August) is March 15th.
- The application deadline for a Fall Internship (September – December) is July 15th.
- The application deadline for a Spring Internship (January – April) is November 15th.
Please send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Internship Application” in the subject line:
- Cover Letter explaining why WPA is where you want to intern
- Contact information (name, phone, and email) for three professional references